Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Pink Hotel

before i left for the motherland last weekend, i came across two glistening reviews of a film that was having a one time run on the night i set out for home. i considered staying the night and leaving at dawn the next day but that never works out as nicely as it does in my mind. it's called The Pink Hotel, an homage to the beacon of Edgewater; a monument to decadence, to Chicago architecture and to absurd choices of paint. here's the trailer and another related snippet:






this is pulled from the Newcity write up where i first learned of the movie. i've made bold the points where drool plopped down from my mouth to the paper....

The storytelling itself, however, holds sinister desire. There’s a touch of micro-budget von Sternberg (minus Dietrich) meets Guy Maddin with bits of David Lynch-like weirdness. “Fair enough! I’m certainly a Lynch enthusiast. Guy is actually a friend, and we’ll be working together on his new film in Winnipeg next month. He and I have been correspondents and friends for several years, so we do a lot of looking at one another’s work. Of course I’m utterly smitten with what he does. I also watch a lot of early sound and silent pictures, the directness of process and the sheer enthusiasm about the newness of cinema is really something special. I’m also very fond of the Quay Brothers, Joseph Cornell’s films, the early Dada and Surrealist experiments in pictures, Roy Andersson’s lovely work and harbor an almost unconditional love for any horror movie at all. The older the better, I suppose, but I’m not that picky.”


i'm probably leaving this neighborhood in a few months but i'm thankful that this stood as my visual reminder that i was almost home.



http://www.theoperatedeye.com/ (official website, Tony Fitzpatrick endorsed. does the drool worthiness ever stop?)

No comments:

Post a Comment